Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Ready to go home

There are always unexpected things that happen on a cycle tour, some are great and some not so great. I managed to navigate the train system to the airport, only to arrive to no working elevator in order to get to the aiport hotel. One last unpack, hike the bike and repack to get to the hotel. 



I'd done my research on obtaining a bike box in Munich airport before leaving Australia. Unfortunately, I had trouble locating the actual area. I'd planned on leaving the bike at left luggage once packed so I only had the limited gear with me that was going in the bike box. I asked at left luggage and they told me I would have to get a bus to another town to get a box, or ask at all the airline counters, or ??? I went into solution mode, including considering asking the airport supermarket for cardboard boxes from their groceries! I went to the floor where the boxes were supposed to be. The packing company area is no longer fully staffed but if you ask at the information counter, they call the packing people and suddenly a bike box appears. They cost 30 euro, cash only, with an ATM close by. The box was very flimsy but huge! A young German couple who were cyclists, were flying out of Munich to see family (without bikes). They kindly offered an extra set of hands to help me get the bike boxed. Then on to a trolley and back to left luggage. In the end, it all worked out fine although the box only just held together for the trip!





No comments:

Post a Comment