Tuesday 6 August 2024

Summing up and the culprit (426km)

It's taken me a little while to feel strong enough to write this last post. I'm just a few days post surgery and on the road to recovery. I've been totally devastated by the accident but I can't change it. I'm determinded to focus forward and start working on planning the next adventure.

I found the courage to look up the street where the accident happened. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I've never seen a drain like this before. It all happened so quickly as accidents do.


As with all my trips, I try to recognise the learnings. So, here are some of my lessons learnt:

1. The kindness of strangers is extraordinary.

2. Things do and will go wrong. Solution finding is a real skill.

3. Travelling solo can be both rewarding and not.

4. Travel insurance is very important having been repatriated on business class flights.

5. The Portuguese people are so kind.

6. The online cycling community offer such strong encouragement.

7. You will get 'Kamooted' several times. Even if you choose 'Road' instead of 'Tour'.

8. Take whatever gear you need to make your tour comfortable, after all, it is 'your' tour!

9. It takes a few days to get used to the weight of the bike. 

10. There is no shame in walking. Pushing a loaded bike is par for the course.

11. It's almost impossible to remove a quad lock with one hand.


Given the accident happened less than two weeks into my trip, the kilometres travelled are somewhat irrelevant. I was feeling strong and capable and that changed in just a few seconds. Navigating the accident and repatriation has been one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Portugal is diverse, windy, hilly, and beautiful. I'll definitely return. For now, I'm focussing on my recovery. 




1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness! It sounds an absolute disaster! I'm amazed at the strength you have shown to get through this. I hope your recovery goes as well as can be.

    ReplyDelete