Wednesday 24 July 2024

Porto to Mindelo (Povoa de Varzim) 30km

Unfortunately, it’s all over not so long after it began. I’d been riding rough cobbles for what seemed like an eternity and had had enough. There were some other riders around but on bikes with suspension and much less gear. I plotted a route away from the cobbles using Kamoot, Google Maps and my paper maps. I was slightly distracted by an altercation between some drivers so worked on getting away from that as quickly as possible. 


I finally found some bitumen and was travelling downhill and around a corner, one eye on the phone, the other on the road. As I came around a bend, there was a drain grate across the entire road. 😳 I’m going to try to find a picture of it in due course!


My front wheel ran into the grate and down I came. No time to take evasive action. I have a fractured right wrist and need to go home as it’s unstable. I need an urgent surgical review. I also have a lacerated knee but that will heal much quicker than the wrist. I hit my head on a stone wall, but my helmet saved me yet again! 


I can’t fault the care provided by the medical system in Portugal apart from a lack of pain medication. πŸ€ͺ😱 It took about six hours to get Panadol and anti-inflammatories. Note to self for future travel! Pain relief! 


My body is bruised and broken, and my mind devastated by a loss of what could have been. It’s an emotional roller coaster. However, it could have been a lot worse. I consider myself privileged to be able to do this and I try to remind myself of this. However, navigating such a situation alone called on every bit of emotional strength and solution finding ability I had. I won’t lie, it’s been really hard. There have been a lot of tears.


The amount of people that have helped me has been incredible. From the orthopaedic surgeon, Frederico who took care of my bike and delivered it to me, Joana - the owner of the guesthouse in Povoa, Juanfe who packed my bike, helped me find food, a sling, a wheelie bag and accompanied me to the airport, the Emirates staff in Lisbon, the cycling community and my dear friends and family. The Portuguese and Spanish people are truly beautiful. A special mention to Monica, Juanfe’s girlfriend for her patience. 


My Camino this year is over, but I’m hoping that I can come back at some point and start in Povoa de Varzim where it finished, and eventually get to Santiago. I’m currently sitting in the business lounge in Lisbon waiting to be repatriated. Thank goodness for travel insurance. 


I will post my learnings in due course. 


Love to all and thanks for the support. Buen Camino! 























11 comments:

  1. Oh Susie, I’m so so sorry to read this. I hope you are ok. Hope the flight home is ok, and please reach out when you’re back. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sue im so sorry for you πŸ₯² hope you get home safely and not in too much pain xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I’m sure all the Pies send their love . Denise ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no you poor woman. What a shame. Hopefully it’s not as bad as the other break. Safe travels ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry Sue. Please don't hesitate to call out when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your fall Sue, but glad to hear that you’re not seriously injured. Hope you have as comfortable a trip as possible home and heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was worried that your silence may be due to something like this 😞😦. So sorry your adventure was cut short Sue, but very glad you are not terribly injured. Portugal and its beautiful people will be waiting on your return. WπŸ˜ƒ. We are here in Oz waiting to embrace you again and fix that broken wing. πŸ’•.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sue, I’m so sorry for you. Sending all the love your way, see you back in Brissie. ShaunO

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one tough cookie Sue!!! No matter what gets thrown at you…you fight through!! I’m really sorry this has happened to you. Sending love for your homeward journey xxx Miss H

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! Big hugs Sue!!! What a roller coaster! I am so sorry to hear it's ended this way. I hope you're ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry Sue to hear this but glad you are not more seriously hurt. It must be very disappointing for you, but it’s so lovely of so many strangers to come to your aid and help you get back home for recovery. I must say I was a little worried with the few days break from your blog, but anyway so pleased it looks like you are now on on the road to recovery. Keep your plans to complete your adventure - that’s so important. Take care and recover well. Be good to catch up some time. Kind regards, Kelvin

    ReplyDelete