Sunday 23 June 2019

Cleats or toeclips.......

I’ve been asking myself the same question for years. Cleats versus toeclips for touring.

Firstly it is personal choice. This can be for comfort, space, weight and a myriad of other reasons.

Then the old argument of efficiency. In my opinion, there is very little efficiency to be gained on a loaded touring bike with cleats. I think there is some benefit in having a solid base on a cycling shoe and therefore reducing the pressure on the ball of the foot that can be exacerbated with toeclips.

The benefits of toeclips:

Toeclips mean one less pair of shoes.
Toeclips mean you won’t slip when trying to get your foot on the pedal.
Toeclips are safer on wet and slippery cobbles.
Toeclips can mean more stylish cycling shoes. :-)

So for me it may actually be a weight issue. Can I get an extra pair of shoes in without going over my baggage allowance?

Watch this space.







No comments:

Post a Comment