Wednesday 17 July 2024

Aveiro to Porto - 73km

I was keen to get going early today as I knew the road out of Aveiro would be busy. I had an option for a quieter route that ran parallel to the lagoon however, it required a 9km backtrack and would make the day around 90km. 

For that reason, I took the N109 for the first 50 ish kms. It totally wasn’t fun with so much traffic including large trucks and also a terrible road surface. If you took your eyes off the road or lost concentration for even a moment, you were sure to lose your wheel in a cavernous hole that you may never come out of. 

I eventually made it to Espinho where I was able to get the bike path that ran parallel to the ocean all the way into Porto. The headwind was a killer but much better than dealing with the traffic. 

Trying to get into Porto was a challenge with markets and people everywhere, streets completely block by traffic or roadworks, all combined with a very hilly city. I’m pretty sure my cleats will be worn out from walking. 🤣 I managed to find my guest house. It’s a lovely place run by an elderly couple. I managed to find a spot for the bike in the hallway although I’m not sure Mr was too happy about it. 

I’m planning on an early night so I can make the most of my time over the next couple of days. I’ll explore Porto tomorrow and then I have a tour of the Douro booked for Thursday. 

Not many photos today. 












1 comment:

  1. Weather looks better today for you at least. Stay safe ❤️ Denise

    ReplyDelete