Tuesday 16 July 2024

Sao Pedro to Aveiro - 73km

What a crazy night with wind and rain. I thought I might just get picked up and flown to Oz! I tried to dry the tent before I left but that was fruitless as I wanted to be on the road early. The campsite was lovely and I’d definitely recommend it despite no real shade for tents. They have planted new trees but they will take some time to grow, it was quite cool so I didn’t mind being in the open, well apart from the storm. 







It was a mixed day of cycling today. I got stranded on a busy highway/bridge with roadworks so it was down to one lane in either direction. I jumped into the roadworks lane to be thwarted by a crane and the ground covered in wire cables. After navigating that, I got ‘kamooted’ into climbing some ridiculously steep hills that probably weren’t necessary. So I booted Kamoot and went to my paper maps. The road was busy but I had a good shoulder. Today was really the first day that I’ve felt the drivers were not so good. I had several rogue truck drivers including one who decided he needed to do a u-turn right where I was stationary. He almost wiped out the bike. 🤯😱









How cool are the flamingoes!!!

The ride was fairly busy and not so scenic but I knew I needed to get the kilometres done. I’d booked a guesthouse in Aveiro to help support these couple of tough days. I was grateful to have the separated bike path into Aveiro despite it taking me 30 minutes to figure out how to get onto it! 

I found a nice cafe for a drink and snack so don’t need to cook dinner now. I’m still struggling with a lack of appetite so will see how that goes with a couple of days off the bike once I get to Porto. 


Not many photos today. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, enjoying following your journey. A mixed bag of good and not so good days, looks like crazy drivers wherever you are on this planet. Safe travels and good health to you. Doc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doc. Hope the recovery is going well.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sue, Looks like a great start to your trip. Be safe. Josh

    ReplyDelete