Tuesday 9 July 2024

Long haul flights……

 Check in was super stressful when I realised I was above my weight limit.  Neil and Sarah were so calm just offering suggestions for shuffling some of my gear to make sure my carry on was 7kg. After some careful strategising, I managed to make it onboard without paying anything extra. It won’t be a problem on the return as I tend to dispose of lots of bits and pieces before I return. This includes unused toiletries, the bike chain, food, etc. 

After a couple of glasses of wine thanks to my beautiful daughter, the nerves settled enough to say goodbye and start my solo journey. A couple of messages and phone calls and before I knew it, it was time to board. 
I sat next to an interesting guy called Tim, who is Cam McEvoy’s coach for the Olympics. He is heading over to meet him there. Interestingly travelling in cattle class like me. Maybe swimming coaching doesn’t pay that well? 🤔

I decided to wear my mask most of the time. I don’t want to get sick before I start my ride and it’s a minor inconvenience. Tim is actually doing the same to protect himself and the athletes. It’s clear other people do take Covid and influenza seriously. Especially when your country is depending on you winning! 

What a challenging flight from Dubai to Lisbon with a screaming child across from me and a constant chair kicker behind me. Anyway, finally made it feeling so sorry for the parents. 


I didn’t have to wait too long for the bike and a kind gentleman helped me get it on the trolley. After a long walk to the meet up area, I was stopped by customs asking if I was going to sell the bike. 🤔 After I explained what I was intending to do, I was on my way. 

Another hiccup through the airport when the bike fell off the trolley and another kind person there to help. The transfer was great. I was a few minutes early but he was really responsive and pleasant. 




I arrived at the guest house and the check in was seamless. After a hot shower, some basic groceries and a walk, it was time for bed. Let’s see what tomorrow brings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment