Thursday 18 July 2024

First rest day of the trip - Porto

This is my first official rest day of the trip after six days of riding and 400km. It doesn’t seem like much but pushing a 40kg bike is certainly more challenging than being on my road bike. 



I had planned to do a city walk based on advice using guru walks. Apparently they are available in most major towns. You pay a donation which is based on your experience at the end of the tour. It was a great experience and I learnt so much about Porto. I also managed to get my credential stamped at the cathedral!











I’d done some research on gluten free restaurants in Porto. The first two were either closed or non-existent, so I set about find my first meal of the day at around 2:30 pm.

I found a local restaurant and a had a lovely fish meal. Then, after wandering some more trying to find a gluten-free coffee shop, decided to head down to the waterfront and found another restaurant where I had some cheese and also dessert with a glass of wine. So eventually, I had a three course meal at two different locations.




I found an amazing store that started building wooden bicycles and then they were trying to find a way to use the leftover materials. They’ve now started making beautiful leather goods using excess cork and leftover wooden materials from the bicycles. It’s an amazing concept and one worth investigating. I just had to get myself a little something! 


I have a tour of the Duoro booked for tomorrow so I’m hoping for an early night this evening and a full day tomorrow. I’m planning to cycle out Friday morning heading to Esposende all going to plan.




2 comments:

  1. Nice bike setting!!! Have a great trip Sye! Cyril

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue # sorry for that ;-)

      Delete