Saturday 13 July 2019

Vaas to Angers 105km

I made it! I made up my lost kilometres and am back on schedule. 105km. 🤛

I left early knowing it would be a long day. There was quite a bit of cloud cover and the odd sprinkle which was a welcome relief after being so sunburnt. I rode mostly through farmland scattered with beautiful small French villages and a smattering of Chateau! The riding was on quiet roads and dedicated cycle paths until the last 15km which became extremely busy!

I found it quite difficult riding through Angers as it was very busy and there was a lot of construction works which made some of the navigation difficult. As I rode through, the temperature said 37 degrees!  The earlier cloud cover had burnt off and it was a scorcher! 

As before, I used my data and stuck with Google maps as she talks to me and I don’t have to constantly stop to check the map. She did take me down a street with just tram tracks, however other cyclists were riding parallel to the tracks without concern. This freaked me out as I’m not very steady on the bike with so much weight on it and I often wobble and could see myself riding into the tracks and ending up on the ground. I did ride parallel to the tracks for a while but in the end, decided the footpath was a better option.

I chose a campground on the south of Angers to make my exit easier on Sunday. I had thought Bastille day was tomorrow but got my dates mixed up and realise it is Sunday. Let’s hope there is food where I’m going. Anyway, the campground is the same one I stayed at in 2010! It’s improved substantially since then but the bathrooms are still terrible! However, there is organic food and organic wine by way of a ‘food cart’. The campground is on the Loire Velo route and there a quite a few cyclists which is nice. 

I realise I’ve left my Australian adapter in the last campground in my haste to make an earlier exit and get some charge in the phone before I left. So frustrated. I’ll try and get something tomorrow at the supermarket. Until then, another cyclist has lent me his Aldi equivalent.

I have a rest day planned for tomorrow. I need to do my washing, give myself and the bike some much needed attention, and find another charger! 








No comments:

Post a Comment